Writer, speaker, broadcaster & photographer | LGBT & mental health campaigner | Hon Doctor of Letters | RAF veteran | Self harm and suicide survivor | 13th most influential figure in Brighton, apparently… oh, and transgender
Dr Sophie Cook became the first transgender woman to work in football’s Premier League as club photographer for AFC Bournemouth following her transition from Steve to Sophie in the summer of 2015.
Europe’s first trans TV newscaster, Sophie has hosted her own TV and radio chat shows and is an experienced broadcaster.
In the 2017 General Election she contested the East Worthing & Shoreham seat, increasing the Labour vote by 114% and narrowly missing out on becoming the UK’s first trans MP.
Sophie is an in-demand public speaker, delivering keynote talks internationally including a TEDx Talk on change, fear, vulnerability, diversity, mental health and LGBT workshops for high profile organisations such as JP Morgan, Virgin Media, Asda and Stonewall.
With extensive experience of working with organisations of all sizes Sophie Cook provides out-sourced Mental Health and Diversity & Inclusion advice that helps businesses to work more effectively and be more cohesive through the power of shared experience and recognising the things that we have in common rather than those which divide us.
In 2019 as recognition of her work around mental health Sophie was awarded the title of Doctor of Letters honoris causa by Bournemouth University.
Sophie was presented with the Outstanding Contribution to LGBT+ Life Award at the 2020 British LGBT Awards and in 2019 was named as the 13th Most Influential Person in Brighton according to the Brighton Power 100.
Sophie’s autobiography ‘Not Today: How I Chose Life’ which charts her personal journey from despair to redemption and acts as a self help book for anyone struggling with their mental health and identity is out now. Sophie is currently writing her second book ‘Not Today: Losing My Addictions’.
Sophie is honoured to hold the following positions:
- Honorary Doctor of Letters Bournemouth University
- Honorary Vice President Bellevue FC
- Ambassador for Kick It Out
- Ambassador for the Sussex Disability Football League
- Ambassador for Hope Charity Project
- Ambassador for Chrysalis — Gender Identity Matters
- Patron of Just A Ball Game
- Patron of Proud Cherries
- Patron of Space Youth Project
- Patron of People’s Pride Southampton
- Patron of the LGB&T Dorset Equality Network
- Stonewall Schools Role Moel
- Healthwatch Dorset Champion
- Hate Crime Ambassador for Sussex Police
- Equality & Diversity Officer Whitehawk FC
- Member of the Pan-Dorset LGBT Health Advisory Group